Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sam Rodriguez solo art exhibit at Cukui

Opening this Friday at Cukui.
Our friend Sam Rodriguez explains his most recent works: 

FUSION MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND: This show is the preface to an ongoing body of work which involves questions and ideas of classification and identity. I am intrigued by visual and social catalogues and their relativity to ones own experience and learned perspective. I have observed this in so many aspects of day-to-day living as I’m sure everyone else has in their own way. For example, here in the U.S I am legally considered “Hispanic”, in Mexico, I am to them an “American”, and to some folks I’ve been considered Middle-Eastern, European, and even part Asian! Visually, the perception of ones identity or how we identify with a given sight changes from one perspective to another.
 There are countless ethnicities, cultures, genres, styles, chemicals, and elements that have meshed together throughout world history, so fusion literally drives the universe. This has inspired me to paint study portraits of dissected faces using visual ingredients and cues, similar to a land map and all its imposed borders.



No comments:

Post a Comment